Zine making is one of our favorite activities! You can use what you have at home for creativity and storytelling for the whole family to enjoy. Today we’ll make a 6 page Zine with the people in your family or household. Each member of the household will create a zine to pass around to each other. Each person starts with the creation of their own cover art.
- The creation of this can take an hour but friends and family can have fun with this up to a 3-hour session.
- All Ages
- Younger children will need supervision with scissors.
- 3 pages of blank paper
Optional: Markers, color pencils, pens, ruler, crayons, stapler
Optional Flair: Stickers, glitter, magazines, newspapers
- Gather the materials above that you have at home.
- Stack the blank paper pages on top of each other and fold them in half (staple crease is optional).
- Out of the magazine, newspaper or junk mail, cut out words and images that stand out to you.
- Create your cover art with the cutouts, glitter, crayon, whatever you have.
- Write creative prompts on small pieces of paper, place them in a bowl and have each family member draw one.
- Prompts include but are not limited to: Poems, mazes, thoughts of the day, mad lib, favorite things, what my pet dreams about, under the sea mystery, galaxy creation, space exploration, draw a character from Meow Wolf!
- Pass the Zine to the person on the left. They will create the first-page entry from the prompt chosen
- Draw and repeat!
- This activity can continue through the week when creativity sparks!
- Have fun, be silly!
- Create a Zine library on the family bookshelf, or mail a completed Zine to a loved one!
Share your creation! Use the #MeowWolfatHome hashtag on social media!